Saturday, April 14, 2007

Subliminal Messages


It seems that we haven't come across the topic of subliminal messages. We see these ads everyday wither we're just walking down the street or in a super market. But how do this relate to words and images? When I saw this advertisement, I definitely wasn't thinking about tonic water, but gin, vodka, and rum. (I'm not an alcoholic and do not promote alcoholism!) Also, the knife caught my attention, the way it's placed gave me an unpleasant feeling. The spilled water made me think of blood for some reason (Basic Instinct?). Feel free to comment!

4 comments:

Ryan Heenan said...

I dont know if this is subliminal since the whole point of the ad is to point out that Canada Dry should be mixed with liquor and it mentions gin, vodka and tequila. The knife does look a little menacing though.

DannyP said...

I agree with dominic, this is a bizzare add. Although suppose Canada Dry doesnt have many other uses then to be mixed with alcohol, i dont know anyone who drinks it by itself. So i think their descision to use alcohol as their subject is a good one. The knife is extremely menacing, it could definitely be a metaphor for alcohol itself. Although i doubt they would promote alcohol, and make it seem bad at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I do not feel that this is a subliminal message. I think the meaning is an obvious conclusion that can be drawn by the different obojects. I think that this ad can be compared to the notion of "the sum is greater than each of its parts". The individual items can be used for different tasks, although, as a whole I feel that their use becomes clear. I also do not think this has anything to do with "alchoholism' as a topic by itself. Tying the products to "alcoholism' would result in a negative image. This, in effect, does not make sense when their goal is to sell the product. I also do not think that the ad was meant to shock anyone or create a negative emotion....The fonts are attractive and I believe it is saying "Come in, relax, have a drink".

Benny Appleby said...

I think "subliminal" might be too strong a term, it implies a specific, hidden message only available to the subconcious. If there were a true subliminal message, we wouldn't be aware of it. However, I do believe that the ad tries to evoke a real physical reaction. The sight of the moisture and ice cubes alone makes my mouth feel dry. I think the knife and the freshly sliced lime are meant to take the viewer through the process of preparing that drink. Our closure provides for us all the needs (survival-wise: thirst quenching and body cooling, even immune boosting vitamin c) and desires (for sociality, intoxication, art of food preparation) we have associated with the picture.