Sunday, March 25, 2007

Ipods

The article on Birders was a good one. It got me thinking in other ways of how electronics, including the internet, makes people more antisocial. I want to focus on ipods. I am a Male. I am 22 years old. I love women. I have a love-hate relationship with my ipod. When I don't want to be bothered on the train, or for a few minutes before class I throw on a couple of tunes and relax. But, how am I suppost to meet new people, chicks mostly, when it seems like every young person is ignoring the world and concentrating on that one song that they love. How many potential dates could I have gone one had that girl not had those little ear buds in. Probably zero, but maybe I would have had a chance or two.

7 comments:

Jason said...

Technology(Ipods imparticular) have created a bubble that people can go into at any point to block out the world. Missed dates.... Missed Love..... "aint that about a bitch?"

Prof LL said...

"aint that about a bitch?"

What does that mean?

Aaron said...

I'm quite interested in this topic! I will post a new sub-related topic about Podism soon.

Oh and Jason means "Aint that a bitch." It's not his fault...I blame podism.

DominiCc said...

The idea about chicks with their ipods is pretty interesting, it goes to show that they either really enjoy their music or they are just anti to society. Maybe they are also hiding behind technology, just like the businessmen with PowerPoint? Obviously the businessmen are being put on the spot so the pressure level might be different then say your normal train ride, but they are both hiding behind technology...

Ryan Heenan said...

I think ipod addiction might be a new problem. I dont know if its necessarily hiding behind behind technology because nothing is really being hidden. Personally i think its not a problem to be inside that "bubble" sometimes but i do agree it can get out of hand

Anonymous said...

I do feel like they are something to hind behind. Although, coming from Minnesota where it is normal to say hello to passerbys, Boston is overall antisocial. I have a laugh everytime I come back here. My friends call it, and I am sure that you know what I am talking about. The B.S........ or Boston Scowl. I feel the ipods then become as a blanket for those who do not favor striking those quick, random, converstaions. Already antisocial, the ipods then just give them some comfort that when the Green Peace people try to get their attention at every intersection, they can REALLY ignore them. The ipod gets rid of the annoyance of having to listen to them. However I believe the problem is not the fact that EVERYONE has an ipod but rather, I can usually hear other's ipods over mine. I think that when our generation gets old there is going to be a large increase in hearing problems. I make it a point to never go above half way on the volume, and to me, this is loud. As musicians, we need to protect our ears. And those ipod headphones are crap.

Anonymous said...

I find that i often time half to put the ipod away for a few weeks because i find that i become to distracted by it. When i am listening to music on the train i fell like im missing something, and it also makes it impossible to read, which i sometimes like to do on the way to work on the bus. For me having music all the time defeats the purpose, I like to be excited when i come home and can finnally listen to music after a long day, and really listen to it, not just have it playing in my ears while im out and about. Could ipodism also be a cause of an even widening gap between the poor, middle, and upper class? Could the government also use the subliminal messages of the Vodka bottle into audible examples imbedded in the music we love and cherish fro political strategy? a new era of PSY-OPS maybe? Have they already begun????